Sci Fi and Fantasy Reviews

YA Science Fiction and Fantasy 

I enjoyed browsing the YA Science Fiction and Fantasy section at Barnes & Noble this week. Sci Fi and Fantasy aren't my usual cup of tea, but I enjoyed these few sips.

 It also excited me for freshening this section in my middle school library.

The Lore Olympus 
Rachel Smythe 

Lore Olympus is a modern retelling of Greek mythology centered around the romantic and tumultuous relationship between Hades and Persephone, set against a backdrop of drama, intrigue, and divine politics. 

This book was originally a webtoon comic. I truly enjoy when authors who create for fun become published! I feel like I can do a little happy dance for them. This graphic novel retelling looks like a fun and fast read! I think it would be a wonderful choice for a reluctant reader who then might turn to more information on Greek mythology or perhaps pursue other fiction based on mythology.




Shatter Me
Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me follows Juliette Ferrars, a girl with a lethal touch imprisoned for her dangerous abilities, who must navigate a dystopian world while grappling with her powers and a burgeoning romance.

I picked this book initially because I saw it was a series. I think hooking kids into a series can support a love of literacy. After reading several online reviews it seems readers enjoyed the romance parts. Overall the consensus is that the books after the third tend to fall a bit flat. 




A Snake Falls to Earth
Darcie Little Badger

A Snake Falls to Earth by Darcie Little Badger tells the tale of Oli and Nina who come together together in a world of monsters, magic and family.

I originally grabbed this book for it's Newbery Medal. I tend to be drawn to books with awards. That must mean a whole bunch of people must've liked it, right? The reviews look awesome. This feels like a book that you can't get a concept of until you read it.
There's an other worldly feeling surrounding it.  It's now on my short list! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing that Brain..

Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That